In this section, we at Moon-Birds will regularly offer recommendations from our own witchy, weird, wild, and wicked playlists. Feast your ears on this, and get magickal.
Sometimes you read to escape. To check into an imaginary hotel and take a vacation from reality. Sometimes you read to pull the reality of the world right in front of your eyes and refuse to look away. Sometimes you read about someone else’s tragedy to exorcise your own.
- “The Dead” by Peter Orner in The New Yorker
- Excerpt from My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh in Lenny Letter
- “A Small Needful Fact” by Ross Gay in Split This Rock
- “Compromise (or, Things that Grow Small)” by Rebekah Bergman in Cosmonauts Avenue
- “The Grand Claremont Hotel” by Catherine Lacey in Tin House Summer Reading 2018 (print only)
For up-to-the-minute recommendations from Joanna,
follow her on Twitter @thewelllostmind